Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday and Quinoa

We just got back from the hospital lab where they took some of Henry's blood. He did a great job! I had him tested for lead a couple of weeks ago since we live in an old house and had seen a story on the news about it, and it came back a teensy bit high. So they wanted to take some blood from his arm as opposed to his finger because it's more accurate. We get the results this afternoon.....hopefully everything is fine!

If you are a Willow girl and went to our ladies retreat last month, then you got to enjoy the Quinoa salad. It was really good and really healthy and good for you and all that stuff. I bought a couple of boxes of it at Trader Joe's and tried the recipe on the box last night. It was yummy! I just had some leftovers for lunch and think it was even better the 2nd time around. Here's the recipe: (my changes in red)

Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry with Quinoa, Peppers and Basil


1 cup Trader Joe's Organic Quinoa prepared with chicken stock according to package directions
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 1/2 pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders
4 tablespoons Garlic Flavored Olive Oil (just regular ol' olive oil, folks)
1 small onion, thinly sliced1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (I also used an orange pepper...we just joined Sam's Club so I've got a boat load of peppers to get through!)
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced (I just put in about 1/2 tsp on my minced garlic from the jar that keeps in your fridge. I love that stuff.)
20 leaves fresh sweet basil, julienne (I didn't have any fresh basil, so I added about 1 tsp of basil pesto...from Trader Joe's, of course!)
Grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Cut chicken into one inch pieces. Heat large nonstick skillet over high heat and add the oil. Add chicken and saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add onions, peppers, and saute for one or two more minutes. Add garlic and saute until peppers become slightly limp, but still bright, about one to two minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the pan from heat. Add basil and quinoa. Toss until basil wilts and garnish with Parmesan cheese. Serves four.

I've seen quinoa at Dahl's and am guessing it's at the healthy food stores like Campbell's and wonder if they have some at the Metro Market? A little goes a long ways. I'm excited to try all these recipes as well. I'm trying to get healthy. Gotta start somewhere, right?

2 comments:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Thank you for this recipe, Abby! It looks awesome! I have been literally craving quinoa since the retreat--it was so good!
Hope Henry's test comes back fine!

Emily (Blue Chair Blessing) said...

wow - that recipe looks awesome. i have never had (or even seen) quinoa before. i want some!! that is awesome the babe is sleeping all night. awesome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails