Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Baking Overload

I've been baking a ton lately and have loved it. I used to bake a lot just for our little family, but then I'd eat the entire finished product. Not kidding. Now I just try and bake when I have good reason too, and then get to sample some without feeling sick to my stomach. Here's a couple of new favorites:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread:

2/3 soft butter
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 can (1lb) pumpkin
2/3 cup water
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
3 1/3 cup flour
3/4 - 1 cup chocolate chips

Mix ingredients together in order given, mixing well until thick and smooth. Pour into two 9x5 inch bread pans or three 8x4 inch bread pans that have been greased and floured on the bottom (or cut out a little piece of parchment paper for the bottom) Bake at 350 for 70 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
This recipe is great because it makes 2 loaves. One for someone else and one for us! I made it yesterday for 2 gals who were going to watch 9 kids at our house. I ran out of sugar, so used about 1 1/2 cups of sugar and then a big glob of honey. I also added not as many chocolate chips and then threw in some raisins and coconut, and for good measure put some brown sugar on top. Since I gave both loaves away I don't know how my substitutions/additions tasted, but it sure smelled good!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg chocolate chips

Cream butter, sugars, and p.b. until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Mix in flour and baking soda. Stir in chips. Roll into balls onto ungreased (I again used parchment paper) cookie sheets. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets.This last step helps them not fall apart.

More than anything, I love baking cookies! My secret is to always bake them at a little lower of a temp and for a bit longer (mainly because I have a gas stove), but usually take them out just before they're done and leave them on the baking sheet for a bit to finish cooking. I dream of owning a diner someday with my husband, and you can be sure there would be a menu just for the cookies!

1 comment:

une autre mère said...

I will totally come to your diner and eat all your cookies! Yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails