Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pumpkin Pie?

I did something very cruel and unusual yesterday. Something my husband would never do to me, yet I did to him.

I ate all the leftover cake.

We had a little bit of a stressful morning here. Nothing life shattering, but it ended in giving a hunk of money to some bug man. Not the way we like to spend money around here!, but one of those things you just have to do. I don't really want to go into the story much since I'll be sharing a recipe as well.

And I seriously was 2 seconds away from hyperventilating.

So, back to the cake. I was stressed. I called my husband in a panic. The sweet guy actually left work and came home to take care of everything for me. Seriously, he's the best. So after all the to-do I was relieved, yet annoyed, yet relieved, yet....hungry, yet......unable to resist the leftover cake from a going away party for a friend. Before I could stop myself, it was gone!

I tell ya what. Once an emotional eater, always an emotional eater. No matter how hard I try to hide it.

Now, this super sweet husband, who had a long day at work followed by a really sad visitation for an old friend he hadn't seen in years, came home to be with our kids and my bestest girlfriend's boys so her and I could go out to eat. Again, isn't he the greatest? And again, isn't it cruel and unusual that I didn't leave any cake for him?! Yes. Yes, it is.

So I'm attempting to bake a pumpkin pie for him, but have a few problems:

1. No regular sugar
2. A can of evaporated milk that expired 11/08
3. Yet a can of sweetened condensed milk
4. Only 1 cup of leftover pumpkin from the bread I made the other day

After looking all over for recipes, I got some ideas and made this baby up. It's baking in the oven and have no idea how it will taste....here's the recipe and I'll update if it gets a thumbs up or a big thumbs down.
(and if it is successful, I need to get this down quick before I forget)

Pumpkin Pie?

Graham cracker crust (just do what you do)

In a saucepan over low-medium heat:
about 1/4 cup of dark corn syrup
10 marshmallows (why 10? Well, I put in a handful and there were 9 so I decided to even it out.)
about 2/3 cup brown sugar
about 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk (I'm real exact, huh.)

Stir until melted.

Pumpkin mixture:
3 eggs well beaten
1 cup pure pumpkin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tbl honey

Slowly add the marshmallow mixture to the pumpkin mixture. Bake at 350 for 30-40. Wait anxiously to see how in the world it turns out! And wait anxiously to see if I'm forgiven! (of course...I already am...because he is the best, afterall!)

Happy Thursday everyone!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails