Friday, March 28, 2008

What a Girl Wants....

Is to go to every single garage sale every weekend and spend every extra penny I can find!

I went to 2 this morning because I was in the mood to look, but not buy so much. I took some change out of our pottery vase that holds the attic door shut. This is ridiculous logic, but I feel like if it's change I'm not spending money. We never cash it in. It just sits there for years and years. Right? So I found about $5 in dimes and nickels and I spent it. So stupid. I got some cute shirts for Henry, but did he really need them? We were going to set a dollar limit per month for this whole garage sale obsession. Last night RJ said $10. What? I instantly disagreed and thought to myself that I'll talk to him about it later. Like usual, I'm going against him and scheming to get things my way. He is so content with everything. I'm not content until it's MY way. We had a speaker at our state retreat this past fall who spoke about submitting to our husband's. I have a horrible memory and I didn't write it down (please add comments if you remember, Willow girls!). The gist of it was, that women always do this. We are always talking our husband's into things.

Can we go out to eat tonight?
No.
But I promise I'll make every other meal this weekend and we won't spend another penny.
No.
How about if we use this coupon and then I make a dessert for later.
Fine.
Yes!

I got my way. Again. Is that what submission is supposed to look like? I realize eating out is a minor issue, but what about having more babies, redoing the bathroom, etc etc. For me, I do this with every issue. It's horrible. So I'm writing this to help keep myself accountable. If I can't even submit to my husband, how in the world can I submit to my Lord? I'm going to try to practice it in the smallest ways. And seriously, how much is my attitude about this NOT showing respect for my husband. By doing this, he's just going to give up trying to be the leader of our family because he knows I'll just try to talk him out of everything anyways (not that he would do this, but I wouldn't blame him if he did!). That is the last thing I want. And that is certainly not how God intends a marriage to work. God placed RJ as the leader of our house hold. I need to respect this!

Next topic: Violence. Is it ever the answer? Is it ever okay? :)


Alright, I'm going to put all this energy into doing the dishes.

2 comments:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Violence--are you going to beat down people at garage sales for that great bargain???
Boy, can I relate to the submission dilemma! Peggy did a great job at the retreat, but unfortunately, I didn't take notes either. I remember exactly what you wrote, though! I found a great book on this is "Created to Be His Helpmeet" by Debbie Pearl. It puts submission in a light that is "accomplishable", practical, and very radical in our society. It's in the church library. Just remember Proverbs 27:15: A nagging spouse is like the drip, drip, drip of a leaky faucet; You can't turn it off, and you can't get away from it. It's an awesome book full of things from the Bible that totally helped me be a better, godly wife. I should go read it again...

Alisa said...

I can totally relate to this. How is it that men can be so Even Stephen?

Looking forward to the violence post!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails