Monday, September 28, 2009

Recipes from the Weekend



I've had a craving for sweet potatos lately....

We had a picnic at a park this weekend with some friends and thought it'd be a great time to satisfy my craving.  I searched the web for a cold sweet potato salad and couldn't find quite the right one, so I got a couple of ideas and made my own. It was yummy!

Sweet Potato Salad

2 large sweet potatoes, cleaned, peeled, and cubed

(I didn't measure anything, so these are guess-timates)
1 1/2 tbl orange juice
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1-2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbl honey
1 tbl good stone ground mustard
freshly ground pepper...to your liking
salt....to your liking
1 tsp freshly chopped parsley

Roast sweet potatos at 375 for about 40 mintues, or until fork tender. Whisk all ingredients for the sauce together. Once potatos are done, immediately pore over potatos (do it while they are warm so they absorb the flavors). You can eat it right away, at room temperature, or chilled.

I also made a cold pasta salad since RJ had a big run the next morning and didn't want to eat a big burger off the grill. I just threw some things together that I had on hand, so here you go!

1 pkg whole wheat angel hair pasta
black olives (I used almost an entire big can...we love olives!)
green olives (again, used a lot)
1 can diced tomatoes...didn't have any fresh ones
1 can chunk light tuna
1-2 tbl parmesan cheese

Sauce:
your favorite balsamic vinegarette (start with about 1/3 cup and add more if needed)
lots of freshly ground pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tbl freshly chopped parsely

Simple. Good. Fast.

Can be eaten hot at room temp or cold as well.

2 comments:

The Sneaky Mommy said...

Now I've got to run out and get sweet potatoes! I think I could crave that all the time it was so good! The pasta salad was super yummy too! Thanks for sharing your recipes! Hope you have a great week!

Alisa said...

loving the new template! Our talk this morning was just what I needed today. You're such a good friend. and a good cook.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails